Skip to main content

My Greece Experience

When I boarded the flight to Greece, I knew I was in for an exciting trip.
One week in Greece, I found out that I was totally right. First I and my crew traveled in September, it’s very important to know when to travel.
 Reasons why we decided to travel in September are:
 * The accommodation and flight costs are generally lower, I tell you, compared to July prices, it’s outrageous.
* Most places in Greece are less busy because Greece is a busy town you want to come when there is less chaos.
* It’s easier to find last minute boat tickets to the island. Oh mama!!! You will want to visit the Islands, if you don’t during your trip, you can as well say “I didn’t visit Greece” because the Island is the fun of the trip.
* The weather is cooler and not as windy.
* People are generally in a better mood so you can find happiness anywhere.
* Many locals go on vacation in August, except Athens and Thessaloniki.

 So if you want to enjoy your trip, please take this little advice that I share as we go on:). Summer temperatures in Greece can rise above 36 C (95 F), with the weather so hot, you need to plan your days accordingly. We visited ancient sites like Corinth, Olympia, Sparta, Acropolis, Delphi, Epidarus which has a theater used for live music concerts and performances, of course we attended a performance in Epidaurus theatre. Please plan your trip around it because the feeling of watching a performance in a 2,000 year old theatre is just amazing. We visited some of the ancient ruins early so we didn’t have to walk underneath the scorching sun Please do not forget your hat and sunscreen and have a water bottle (very important) when you are ready to hit the beach. We tried different beaches because not all beaches are the same and we wanted to see it all. I recommend Pounda Beach in Paros, Vasiliki in Lefkada or Prasonisi in Rhodes if you are interested in summer sports like windsurfing or kite surfing. The winds there makes the wave perfect for water sports enthusiasts. 

Ohhhhh!!!! and the FOOD!!!! Moussaka is life!!! Made with sliced eggplant in a ground beef sauce and smothered in a thin white sauce, I can eat it all day. How about Souvlaki, warm pita, loaded with perfectly marinated grilled meat and topped with tzatziki sauce. You simply cannot go to Greece without experiencing Souvlaki. Oh by the way, a week is not enough to see all of Greece, 2 weeks is not even enough to see it but it will give you a full dose of it and chances are, after your visit you will want to return your visit again and again and if you want to really experience life in true Greek style, you need to Siga Siga (just some spice I took from Greece with me, it means “take it easy”). So you have to take it easy, enjoy a meal of Souvaki with newly made friends preferably people from Greece. I’ve added some pictures of my Greece experience, you should go through it, savor it and make plans to see it.
If you are planning to see it, I will recommend abc.com, the agency we used. They made sure we had a great time, completely removed the stress of looking for a cheap flight, accommodation etc. They had it covered for us.


                                                   Moussaka


                                                  Souvlaki

   

                                                  Pounda Beach

      
Delphi 

Erechtheion, Athens








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to My Dad

Dear Daddy, I woke up this morning praising and thanking God for this day, asking Him to make sure it goes well, making Him my trust. I got up and as I got to the door I realised you won't be present at this occassion, you won't see your little girl getting called to the Nigerian Bar, You won't be here to give me a hug and say 'My daughter You have made me proud'. Last week thursday I passed out of the NYSC, you where not present either, you where not available to call me and congratulate me. I wish you where here dad, it gets crazy because I just realized I don't even know how you would have congratulated me, if you would hug me, kiss my forehead or raise me up, I don't know what you would have said to me. On the 13th of december you will be 7 years gone. I miss You Dad. I wish you didn't leave me so early, I wish you gave us a chance to bond, I wish you gave me a chance to take out the white hair from your chest again. You won't even be at my weddi